If you are looking for a perfect winter trek, then Kedarkantha is the one. The unparalleled views and serene environment are enough to add this trek in your “must do” list.
Kedarkantha Trek Fee:
Rs 9000 (Includes GST and all costs of the Trek from Dehradun to Dehradun)
Duration: 6 Days
Highest Points: (3800 m)
Best Season: Throughout the year
Level: Easy to Moderate
Summer Temperature: (5° C to 15° C)
Winter Temperature: (-2°C to -5° C) (-5°C to -10°C)
Review 1 Review5/5
Vacation Style Holiday TypeTrekking
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Medium Group
Prominent winter trek in Garhwal Himalayas
t lies in the Garhwal Himalayan region in Govind Wildlife Sanctuary of Uttarkashi district at an altitude of 3,800 m. This is one of the best destinations to plan a trek, it remains covered in snow at the time of winters. The trail takes you through undulating meadows and soothing dense forest. Beauty of Kedarkantha captures complete attention of the people visiting there because of the magnificent peaks and fetching greenery all around.
This trek starts from Sankri which is the base camp of more than 20+ treks, it remains busy by the hustle and bustle of trekkers. On the top of Kedarkantha there is a temple of Lord Shiva and Ganesh where spirituality can be felt. The fresh air and serene environment are enough to add this trek in your “must do” list. Villagers every year visit this place at the time of their festival to worship “Someshwar Devta”.
Extraordinary Panorama views
This majestic valley offers some extraordinary sights of Swargarohini – I, II, III (6300 meter) Bandarpoonch peak (6316 meter) and Black peak (6387 meter) all together. The other eye catching views are of Rupin & Supin valley, Baraadsar Range, Kanasar Lake, Phulara Ridge, Bali Pass and Sarutal.
The splendid sights of snow covered mountains welcome you from a distance and the views are breathtaking. The 360 degree view is extraordinary because you cannot catch such alluring sight on other treks.
– Snowfall starts from December and is there till April, there are all snow covered meadows at that time, trekking becomes fun and adventurous, the thrill is increased which makes it the best winter trek.
– The beautiful forest clearings and celestial meadows of Kedarkantha are incomparable. Such idyllic settings are hard to find but this trek offers the best places to camp. One of the best camping spot is “Juda Ka Talab” it is a wide clearing amidst forest.
– This wide clearing has a unique crystal clear Lake named “Juda Ka Talab” at an altitude of 2,700 m. It is believed that this Lake was formed by the water which dropped from the hair of Lord Shiva when he opened his hair locks a little. This Lake freezes in winter season and is very captivating, the reflection of trees can be clearly seen on the upper surface.
– Boredom can never strike you while travelling to Kedarkantha because the drive takes you through Mussoorie “The Queen of Hills” and some Himalayan villages i.e. Nowgaon, Purola, Netwar and Mori.
– On this trek you can explore the culture and tradition which people follow in Himalayan villages. They wear different jewellery and dresses, have their traditional food and know them firmly.
– The panorama views cannot be left when someone asks, “Why Kedarkantha?” the sights are spectacular with amazing 360 degree views.
Key Points of Kedarkantha Trek
- Level: Moderate
- Proper conditioning & training of body required
- Need proper gear & clothing for sub-zero temperature
- Shoes are the single most important equipment.
- High Altitude requires proper acclimatization.
- Beautiful landscapes so carry good photo gear & Extra battery backup.
- Travel light
- The backpack should not exceed 10 kg.
Must read about Kedarkantha Trek
Duration – 6 Days Dehradun to Dehradun
Best Season –
Level – Easy to Moderate
Highest Points – (3800 m) Kedarkantha height (12467 feet)
Trekking distance (total) –(23 km)
Weather – Nights are cold and day temperature is pleasant during the season
Winter temperature – (-2°C to -5°C) (-5°C to -10°C) in winters from December to January.
Summer temperature – (5°C to 15°C)
Location Chart – Dehradun, Mussoorie, Kempty fall, Purola, Mori, Netwar and Sankri
Starting point – Dehradun Railway Station
This is a Great Trek for Beginners
No other trek can be compared to this trek when it comes to trekking in the serenity of Garhwal Himalayas. This trek has no risks, here are no landslide prone areas and frightening river crossing which makes it suitable for beginners.
Altitude we are going to cover
- Sankri (1920 m)
- Juda Ka Talab ( 2700 m)
- Kedarkantha base camp ( 3400 m)
- Kedarkantha summit ( 3800 m)
Day 1– Dehradun to Sankri (210 km) (7/8 hours) (1920 Mt)
Day 2– Sankri to Juda Ka Talab (5 km) (4/5 hours) (2700 Mt)
Day 3– Juda ka talab to Kedarkantha base (04 Km) (3/4 hours) (3400 Mt)
Day 4– Kedarkantha base to Kedarkantha Summit (3.4 km) (3800 Mt) and then to Hargaon (5 km)
Day 5– Hargaon thach to Sankri (6 Km) (5/6 hours) (1920 Mt)
Day 6– Sankri to Dehradun (210 km) (7/8 hours)
- Transport facility from Dehradun to Dehradun
- Forest Permit and entrance fee
- Accommodation in Hotel Sankri
- Accommodation in tents on twin share basis
- All meals: breakfast, packed lunch, tea, coffee, snacks, soup and dinner
- (All camping gears)
- High quality tents
- Sleeping bags
- Separate Toilet tents – Ladies and Gents
- Dining Tent
- Dining table
- Kitchen team
- Radio Walky Talky for Communication
- Good Experience Trek Leader guide and Technical guide
- Medical Kit
- Oxygen Cylinders
- Crampons and Gaiters
- Personal Insurance
- Medical Certificate
- Personal toiletry Items and Personal Medicine kit
- On first day En Route to base camp the Breakfast and Lunch are Not Included
- Last Day En Route Lunch and Dinner are Not Included
Full payment confirms your booking
We serve three meals a day including snacks and soup. A variety of delectable and healthy food is provided which includes; Indian, Chinese and other Western meals. They are nutritious and keeps you fit and healthy on your trek.
Reaching Sankri our Base Camp (210 km) (7/8 hours) (1920 Mt)
Our vehicle picks you up from Dehradun railway station then en route towards Sankri (210 km). It takes 7-8 hours to reach there. The drive to Sankri is a picturesque one, you can see a variety of sceneries on the way.
The scenic beauty of valley attracts the visitor’s eye. You will see Yamuna River and Tons valley across the Yamuna Bridge, the crystal clear water gives a very refreshing feeling if you feel tired on the way. You get beautiful views of Mussoorie, Damta, Nowgao, Netwar and Purola on the way. These are the villages where you can see people working in fields and you can have a glimpse of their lifestyle, the combination of light and dark greenery is mesmerizing.
We cross an entry gate of Govind Wildlife Sanctuary, Sankri lies there. When the Baraadsar mountain range and other snow-capped mountains are visible then you are about to reach Sankri, it will take 15-20 minutes more.
Sankri is a small village with less number of houses, there is a famous mini market of Sankri with few wooden huts serving traditional and delicious food. From here you can have a glance of some mountain ranges, it is surrounded by the mountains and the environment is pollution free, relish the beauty of Sankri. We own a hotel named “Swargarohini”, enjoy your dinner and night stay there.
Sankri to Juda ka talab (5 km) (4/5 hours) (2700 Mt)
After having breakfast trek begins towards Juda ka Talab .The way is covered by thick forest alluring, quiet and peaceful, rich in flora and fauna and there are different species of birds, pine trees are mostly found here, you will see greenery all around.
Some water streams and waterfalls are on the way which makes the trail more beautiful, the trail is steep, so you can take rest breaks but the beauty will motivate you to go higher. It will take some time to reach campsite so we will take packed lunch with us. We will stop to have lunch you can enjoy sometime there, site aside a flowing stream, take off your shoes and dip your feet in water and you will be relaxed.
After having lunch and coming half your way to Juda ka Talab you will re-enter in a pine and maple dense forest, continue your trek and in 2-3 hours you will see Juda Ka Talab’s beautiful campsite, the place is perfect for camping this area is entirely in shadows in the dense pine forest, Juda Ka Talab is in a meadow which is very captivating, it is a glass like lake, you can clearly see the picture of sky and trees on it and there is grass in middle of the lake which makes it different.
At night you can see sky full of stars and if you are lucky you can spot a shooting star. Relax yourself, sit and observe the beauty of nature, you can have some essence of peace. At night have dinner and spend your night in tents.
Juda Ka Talab to Kedarkantha base (4 Km) (3-4 hours) (3400 m)
After the breakfast, trek is started towards Kedarkantha base Camp which is 3400 m. You can opt for little steep climb of Baniya Thach, which is a beautiful path with beautiful views. Trail of Juda ka Talab is straight forward.
You have to go through pine forest go higher and after sometime the trail pops out at a ridge, on edge of the meadow you have to again go through oaks and after half an hour ridge opens up to other meadow continue your trek and you’ll see snow ranges surrounding the Kedarkantha summit, some snow-capped mountains and some green peaks, enjoy the picture perfect scenery.
Walk over the snow and under dry oak trees and you will reach Kedarkantha Base Camp from there you can see all white snow covered peaks- Bandarpoonch, Swargarohini, Kala Nag and Rangnala. When you get the views of these peaks you will not take your eyes off them.
There will be cold there in winters but the beauty of these mountains and beautiful trail would give you the warmth of pleasure.
Kedarkantha base to Kedarkantha Summit (3.4 km) (3 hours) (3800 Mt) - back to Hargaon camp (5 km)
Sunrise from Kedarkantha base is something extremely beautiful, waking up in the morning and witnessing the sunrise will brighten your day. Kedarkantha peak can be clearly seen from Kedarkantha base camp.
After having breakfast trek starts, there are many trails which take you to the top, and you can take any one. Maronda thach biggest bugyal, Pokhrola thach on a gradual ascent that offers excellent, views of the snow-covered mountains and valleys with huge water falls. The area is home to a number of rare species of Himalayan birds, animals and flowers, and is full of birch and spruce.
After the last steep climb of Kedarkantha peak enjoy the mesmerizing views of Swargarohi Peak 1, 2, 3. Har -ki -dun Valley and Kalanag. Black Peak stands tall overlooking this Valley of God Shiva and Ganpati Bappa. The summit gives you 360 degree panorama view. Take photographs visit temples there and then get back to your Kedarkantha base camp site have lunch there and begin your descent to Hargaon. The trail is through oak, pine trees and frozen streams which will make your trek a very good and beautiful one.
Hargao Thach to Sankri (6 Km) (5/6 hours) (1920 Mt)
After having breakfast and on the way to Hargao to Sankri, the trail to Sankri is clearly marked by stones.
There are numerous trails to reach Sankri but one of them is mostly used, while on the trail when you cross dense pine forest you’ll come to a ridge which offers the view of Har Ki Dun Valley “The Valley Of Gods” There are local apple orchards, you can see the huts of local farmers line up on the right.
It is a beautiful place to find diversity in things and see their tradition and culture of local villagers and to understand the life of people living in mountains. Then you’ll spend your night in Sankri at Swargarohini hotel.
Sankri to Dehradun Drive (210 Km) (8-9 hours)
On day 6th you’ll reach Dehradun between 5:30-6:00 pm if you start travelling at 8:00 am.
Take the overnight train from Dehradun to Delhi.
Please carry the documents given below
- Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (Aadhar Card, driving license, voters ID, etc.)
- Medical Certificate (first part to be filled by a doctor and second part by the trekker)
- Risk Certificates
Trekkers must bring :
- Strongly built hiking shoes, if you do not own a pair you can rent it from Sankri.
- Sandals or slippers to wear in campsite
- Thick woollen socks, it will keep your feet warm
- Daily wear socks
- Thermals are very important
- 1 shirt, it should be long sleeved
- Shirts and pants for campsite, should be warm
- 1 raincoat or poncho
- Thick gloves
- Trek pants
- Cap and Balaclava (or a scarf)
- Sun glasses
- Sun tan lotion
- Lip balm
- Water bottle
- Personal toiletry items
ATM Point & Mobile connectivity:-
ATM POINT: Withdraw money before your journey, Purola is the last point where you will find ATM.
There are no networks during the trek, in Purola all the networks are available and in Sankri only Vodafone and BSNL signals are there but the connectivity isn’t good. So make sure you finish all your important work and calls before starting of the trek
Trekking demands a good investment and this extremely expensive activity is the passion of many, so we have a great announcement to make which will be a great relief to your pockets. Now get your Trek Gear on Rent and all you have to do is make a special renting request while booking your trek. That’s it! We have kept it simple for you.
We carry first aid kits but it’s necessary to carry a personal medical kit.
(Carry minimum 5 tablets and maximum 10)
– Diamox – (prevents altitude sickness)
– Digene – (it cures discomfort in stomach, acidity)
– Crocin Advance – (cures fever and headache)
– Aspirin/Combiflam – (Pain reliever)
– Disprin/Saradon – (cures headache)
– Avomine – (prevents motion sickness)
– Avil – (it treat allergies)
– Norflox TZ & Lomofrn – (prevents Diarrhoea)
– Ranitidine – (reduces the amount of acid in stomach)
– Volini/Moov spray – (for sprains)
– Betadine/Savlon – (Antiseptic cream)
– Band aid
– Stretchable/elastic bandage
– Use medicines only when prescribed by the doctor in case you face any problem in your trek, take advice from Professional guide before taking any medicine.
– Drinking water is necessary during your trek, keep 1 litre of water bottle filled and drink it on proper interval of time, it is very important while hiking.
17 Jan to 22 Jan 2019 (Full)
19 Jan to 24 Jan 2019 (Full)
20 Jan to 25 Jan 2019 (Full)
21 Jan to 26 Jan 2019 (Open)
22 Jan to 27 Jan 2019 (Open)
23 Jan to 28 Jan 2019 (Open)
24 Jan to 29 Jan 2019 (Open)
25 Jan to 30 Jan 2019 (Open)
26 Jan to 31 Jan 2019 (Open)
27 Jan to 01 Feb 2019 (Open)
28 Jan to 02 Feb 2019 (Open)
30 Jan to 04 Feb 2019 (Open)
01 Feb to 06 Feb 2019 (Open)
03 Feb to 08 Feb 2019 (Full)
05 Feb to 10 Feb 2019 (Open)
07 Feb to 12 Feb 2019 (Open)
09 Feb to 14 Feb 2019 (Open)
10 Feb to 15 Feb 2019 (Open)
11 Feb to 16 Feb 2019 (Open)
13 Feb to 18 Feb 2019 (Open)
15 Feb to 20 Feb 2019 (Open)
17 Feb to 22 Feb 2019 (Open)
19 Feb to 24 Feb 2019 (Open)
20 Feb to 25 Feb 2019 (Open)
21 Feb to 26 Feb 2019 (Open)
23 Feb to 28 Feb 2019 (Open)
25 Feb to 30 Feb 2019 (Open)
27 Feb to 04 Mar 2019 (Open)
1 March to 6 March 2019 (Open)
3 March to 8 March 2019 (Open)
5 March to 10 March 2019 (Open)
7 March to 12 March 2019 (Open)
9 March to 14 March 2019 (Open)
10 March to 15 March 2019 (Open)
12 March to 17 March 2019 (Open)
13 March to 18 March 2019 (Open)
15 March to 20 March 2019 (Open)
17 March to 22 March 2019 (Open)
19 March to 24 March 2019 (Open)
20 March to 25 March 2019 (Open)
21 March to 26 March 2019 (Open)
23 March to 28 March 2019 (Open)
25 March to 30 March 2019 (Open)
27 March to 01 April 2019 (Open)
- If the trek is cancelled by us due to any reason (heavy snowfall, rainfall, natural disaster etc.) then the refund would not be initiated but you can go on the same trek another year.
The cancellation charges are as follows –
(No bank charges deducted will be Refundable)
- Up to 30 Days – 90 precent cost is Refundable
- Between 21 to 30 Days – 50 precent cost is Refundable
- Less than 20 Days – No Refund
(Refunds are initiated in 7-8 business days)